I found this great dog bed at Home Depot today in their 50% off Christmas section. S-C-O-R-E!!! It is huge and fluffy plus it was cheap. There is enough room for both puppies and one or maybe two of their humans to lie down on […]
Emma is a silly dog! She has all kinds of quirks, but this is one my favorites – it makes me laugh every time she does it. She loves to chase her tail. Sometimes she will notice it hanging out there behind her all by […]
Well, it took us a week to finally get our act together enough to have the birthday party we had planned for the puppies. Lael asked me pretty much every day over the past week if we were having the party today……ok how about today? Is today the day for the party??? OK, finally – we did it. I had pinned a bunch of recipes for dog birthday cakes on Pinterest while I was planning the party. I finally decided on the Bow Wow Beef and Bacon Cupcakes from Love to Know Dogs. Here is the recipe.
- For cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jar of strained beef baby food
- 3 large eggs
- 7 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- For icing:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- Stir flour and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
- Cream together the butter, oil, baby food and eggs.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet mix, and then stir in the bacon.
- Pour into cupcake wrappers or a greased and floured muffin pan.
- If desired, sprinkle a light layer of bacon bits on top as a frosting substitute.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until done. Oven times may vary.
- To make icing, mix peanut butter and cream cheese together. Put mixture into icing tube and squeeze out flower shapes on top of cupcakes.
We started off the party by making the puppies pose in the birthday hats that Lael and I made for them. Emma didn’t seem to mind the hat much, but Lily hated it. She kept shaking her head and pawing at it. I did manage to get a few pictures of them in the hats. Todd thought it was beyond silly – dogs wearing birthday hats, Ha!
Next step in the party timeline was to open the birthday gifts! Well, turns out that puppies are not that interested in opening presents. I didn’t really expect them to open all the gifts, but once Emma got into the package with the rawhide chew sticks she was DONE!
Finally, it was time to let them eat their birthday cupcakes. It was really really hard for them to resist diving in while I took the time to snap a few photos!
Our puppies are one year old today! I’m not sure we can still call them puppies anymore now 🙁 I like to call them puppies, and they are still pretty small since they are miniature dachsunds! So, I will just might always call them […]
I think our puppies might have a case of species confusion. Sometimes, usually right after they wake up both of them will let out this noise that sounds a LOT like a meow. We have never had cats, we are squarely in the ‘dog people’ […]